Top 3 Tips for Your Moving Truck Rental
Lets face it, moving is kind of a pain. Sure, it’s exciting once you get into your new place, but getting there can be pretty difficult. Oftentimes, it takes days or weeks of packing, you always have more stuff that you realize, and unexpected costs tend to pile up without you realizing it. Most New York residents would agree that it’s a good idea to save money wherever you can, so instead of hiring movers, most choose to rent a moving truck and do the heavy lifting themselves. At Empire Rent A Car, we provide spacious trucks that are designed to help protect, organize, and transport your belongings to your new home. We also have put together a list of tips that will help make your move go more smoothly.
1. Drive Safely
Most people aren’t used to driving a big, box truck and it can be tricky. There are a few things you need to keep in mind:
- Familiarize yourself with the truck and all of its specifics. Before you get on the road, adjust your mirrors and seats, and get comfortable with the light switches, turn signals, and windshield wipers.
- Be prepared to drive slowly, make wide turns, and keep a healthy distance from cars in front of you.
- Try to stay on main roads when driving the moving truck. Avoid winding and narrow roads.
- Be aware of bridges, underpasses, and drive-thrus. A box truck is a much taller vehicle than you’re used to, and you don’t want to get stuck under a bridge and damage the truck!
2. Get InsuranceSupplemental moving truck insurance is a good idea, especially if you are driving the truck a long distance. Often, this type of insurance is not very expensive and you’ll be glad you have it if something unexpected happens on the road. Even scrapes and scratches on a box truck can result in significant personal liability, if uninsured.
3. Pack Carefully
When packing up all your earthly belongings, it’s a good idea to take it slow and remember to secure large items so they don’t shift in transit. Even if you think you’ve done a great job, don’t skimp on the bungie cords and end up with damaged items once you reach your new home. Most moving trucks come with bungie cords and furniture blankets for further protection.
Reserve with Us Today
Ready to get this move on the road? Contact Empire Rent A Car today at (800) 750-8782 to speak to one of our rental experts. We will make sure that you receive a clean, well-maintained moving truck, and we can even work with you on a personalized mileage program so that you can stay on budget. To get a rental quote or to reserve a truck, contact us anytime or book online at your convenience.