Visit NY on a Budget: Freebies
A trip to New York doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. With just a dash of creativity and a willingness to think outside the box, tourists can fill entire days with fun activities that are completely free.
Ready for a memorable afternoon? Rev up your New York car rental, grab this list, and leave the wallets at home!
Free Activities in the Big Apple
These ideas are terrific ways to hold the cash — not the fun:
- Visit a Park: From iconic Central Park to the urban Brooklyn Bridge Park, these play areas aren’t just for kids. Browse the art and memorials, walk the trails, or even see a free concert or play.
- Taste Free Beer: Microbreweries are currently all the rage — and why shouldn’t they be? Take a free tour at Chelsea’s Brewing Company, and sample the delicious drafts.
- Free Museums: While most museums have entrance charges, some are actually suggested rates. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is an example; they technically can’t turn visitors away if they only donate a dollar or two. See a list of free (or nearly free) museums in NY.
Below are a few more suggestions from an article titled, “40 Free Things to Do in New York City” on Lonely Planet™:
- The Museum of Modern Art is free on Fridays from 4 to 8 p.m.
- The New York Aquarium is “pay as you wish” from 3 p.m. on Fridays.
- The ferry ride to the beautiful Governors Island is free in the summer.
- The Downtown Boathouse offers free kayak rentals for 20 minutes.
Cheap Car Rentals
Having a car rental in NY is a convenient way to see the city, but rental cars can be expensive. The simple solution is Empire Rent a Car. Our affordable rates and special coupons will help save money.
With over 40 years of experience, we’re a trusted company that’s locally owned and operated. Better yet, we have an incredible fleet that includes everything from spacious van rentals to mid-size SUV rentals. Reserve a vehicle online, or call us at 800-750-8782. We look forward to serving you in New York.